Monday, January 2, 2012

Reflecting...

2011 was a memorable year, with lots of change and new beginnings. It started off a little shaky and stressful, but picked up some pace middle of the year and ended on a positive note. 2011 marked my 5 year anniversary, my 30th birthday, my first 5k, my first blog, and my first year in the gym-fully committed. When I sat down to think about 2012 and what was around the corner for me and for us as a family, all I could think about was 1 thing and that's my baby girl turning 5 years old, in 5 months and heading to kindergarten 2 weeks later! I cannot believe it or even think about it for long periods of time without getting teary eyed and all hormonal. And lets not forget little P, she heads to pre-k and will be right behind big sister in no time.

Cliche in every way, but time really does fly by-especially after you have kids. The realization of this really hit me last year, when I turned 30. I've never been one to make resolutions, but like the idea of setting goals for myself, something I had never done in the past....until I was approaching 30.  During one of my " Oh my God, I'm aging" anxiety attacks and somewhere shortly after the new year had arrived, I decided that I needed to start pushing myself harder. I realized I had become complacent and content doing the same things every day at work and at home. By no means do I dismiss the fact that raising a family and running a household is always important and hard work and by all means keeps you on your toes, but at some point in time, you need to do things for yourself as well, if you ever want to be fulfilled as an individual. I realized that to be a better Mom, Wife, Daughter, Sister, Friend, etc, I needed to be a better me. I needed to be a little selfish, self absorbent, and self centered- to be fulfilled, but only in moderation. I pushed myself to new levels at work and earned myself a new title, I pushed myself in the gym and for the first time in my life developed a bicep and a love for running. I told myself I was going stop watching so much trash tv and  whattaya know I actually read 6 books. It doesn't seem like a lot, right? But the growth I have experienced and the change in my outlook is huge. That's really all that matters in the end, how you feel about the life you're living and the life you lived. I've come to know myself pretty well over the last couple of years. We've faced a lot of trying times as a family and as a couple, but each of those experiences have put me where I am and helped me discover where I want to be. A sense of clarity, is worth its weight in gold. And, just as it has taken a lot of hard work to get to where I am, the place of knowing who I am, it will take a lot more hard work to get to where I want to be.

My most recent post on Facebook went something like this:
"This year there will be new knowledge to gain, new concepts to take in, new skills to learn, new people to meet, new friends to enjoy, new sights to see and new thrills to experience! I have a feeling 2012 is going to be full of great things indeed!"
One of the comments I received was from a lady that I worked with for many years, Mama Bern. She always had the most positive things to say and I really did enjoy her prospective and miss having her around. What she said, sums it up when I think about the goals I'm setting for 2012. I want all the memories capable of making! 
"Amen, Brittany! Life is for Living, So do It to Its Fullest...you will have great "rocking chair memories (as do I...ha ha)"

No comments:

Post a Comment